In the spring, we planted 3,555 Merlot vines that were one-year old bench grafts. At the same time, we planted 945 Cabernet Sauvignon vines. The Cabernet was a clone from Germany that was planted in the original vineyard at Inglenook. Both were planted on AXR-1 rootstock. Unfortunately for us, by the end of 1985 the wine industry discovered that AXR-1 rootstock was not phylloxera resistant. A small workshop and storage shed was constructed to house our tools and for a place where we can get out of inclement weather when working in the vineyard. By summer we found out that our well was not adequate to irrigate the new

17 acres of rugged, untamed mountain-top land was purchased. Ten acres of the property were cleared and the steeper areas were terraced. We put in two ten-thousand gallon cement water tanks at the top of the vineyard to hold water for future irrigation and a six-foot high deer fence was constructed around the entire property – unfortunately it doesn’t always work.