Sheldon’s Heirloom Tomato Salad with Burrata Cheese & Basil Oil
Chef: Caston Richards
4 servings, 15 prep time
2 lb of ripe heirloom tomatoes
8 oz of burrata cheese (typically 1-2 balls)
1 oz of fresh basil leaves
¼ cup + 2 tbsp of good extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp + a splash of white wine vinegar
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
8 oz of baby arugula
Notes: The key to this salad is quality of ingredients. Fresh basil. Picked ripe tomatoes. Great burrata cheese!
- Add basil, extra virgin olive oil, and ½ tsp of white wine vinegar to a food processor. Blitz until the basil is well incorporated into the oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut tomatoes into a mixture of slices and large chunks.
- Create a thin bed of sliced tomatoes. Lightly season with salt, pepper, and basil oil.
- Score burrata in an X on the top, cutting about halfway through. Place the ball(s) on the bed of tomatoes.
- Scatter chunks of tomato around the burrata. Season burrata and tomato chunks with salt, pepper, and basil oil.
- Add your arugula to a mixing bowl. Drizzly a small amount of olive oil and a splash of white wine vinegar. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Hand mix and disperse over tomatoes.
- Serve family style!