6 beef short ribs 2” x 5”pieces 1 celery rib chopped
1 cup dry red wine (or more to cover) 2 tsp. Juniper berries
1 carrot peeled & chopped 2 bay leaves
1 onion peeled & chopped 1 oz. olive oil
4 cups veal or chicken stock (enough to cover)
2 oz. golden raisins, soaked (30 minutes) and drained
4 oz. prunes, soaked (15 minutes) drained and diced
1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced 2 tbsp. water
2 oz. small chips semi-sweet chocolate
Pine Nut Gremolata:
1/4 cup parsley, minced, rinsed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted 1/4 cup chives, minced
1 tbsp. fresh garlic minced
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4 lbs. russet potatoes 7 cups water
1/2 lb. butter cubed 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp. whole milk 1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
- Place meat and vegetables in a snug non-aluminum container. Cover with red wine and marinade for 24 hours.
- Remove meat and vegetables from marinade and drain well. Reserve liquid.
- Grill meat on all sides until a nice dark brown or you can brown meat in some of the olive oil. Brown vegetables, add meat and pour marinade over.
- Add juniper berries and bay leaves. Add veal stock to cover and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 2–3 hours in 350˚ oven until tender.
- Remove and reserve the short ribs and braising liquid. Keep meat warm with some of the liquid, as you make the sauce.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar with water and cook until it reaches a caramel color. Add the vinegar, stirring to dissolve. Watch out for splatter. Cook until reduced by 1/4. Add chocolate and stir until melted.
- Make the gremolata. Mix all ingredients well and reserve while you make the mashed potatoes.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into equal 2-3” chunks. Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender but not mushy. Drain potatoes and transfer to stand mixer bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed to combine, and then increase speed to medium to mix thoroughly. Adjust salt and milk to taste.
Heat remaining braising liquid until hot and sauce has reduced by half. Add two tablespoons chocolate gastric, all dried fruit and 2-3 tablespoon butter. Place a short rib on each plate with 6-8 ounces braising liquid, serve alongside a portion of garlic-mashed potatoes and sprinkle with two tablespoons pine nut gremolata.